January 24, 2008

How To Deal With UFO's (UnFinished Objects)

I have been tatting for less than three months and I already have several UnFinished Objects! It seems every hobby has at least one project that has been set aside, for whatever reason, and there it remains, unfinished. I think even our day to day work has these 'unfinished objects'!

Rose Deguara posted a VERY interesting series of posts on UnFinished Objects on
Here-Be-Tatters Yahoo Group. Our days haven't settled back into a routine yet and so I haven't put her advice to use on my tatting UFO's yet.... BUT, I am finding the advice also works on preventing UFO's in my day to day work of barn and household chores! THANK YOU, Rose.... you may have shown me the key to reducing the clutter of 'things to finish' in tatting and the rest of my life!


Step by Step: How To Finish a Tatting Project -- By Rose Deguara
I am sorry the pages aren't open to the public: the group does require membership to view the group's messages, but the few minutes it takes to join will be more than repaid by a few moments of reading the messages or browsing the photo albums!
Here is one of my tatting UFO's .... as it sits by my chair and I happily ignore it and tat on other things! I think it is the color combo didn't work out as I had hoped... and I will follow Rose's Steps and finish it soon!


2 comments:

Sharon said...

Did you see yarnplayer's comments about dying thread long and short? Sometimes you want variegation, but you want it in long slow transitions and other times you want it in quick changes. It depends on the project. Quick colour changes can sometimes make a project look choppy and un-attractive. Soometimes the best solution is to cut it off your shuttles and go on to something else. By the way, have you seen the Tatting Treasures from Trash challenge?
http://tattingtreasuresfromtrash.blogspot.com/
A good place to use up mismatched bits and pieces of tatting is to sew them onto a jeans bag and make something beautiful out of something ugly.

Debbie S. said...

Sharon I was thinking 'different color' when maybe I should be thinking 'different variegation'! This is an edging pattern from one of the old Priscilla Tatting books (at the moment, I forget which one, and the book is not close to hand)... and the original in white really showed up the difference in ring size from inside edge to outside edge.... To me it cries out for shaded thread... and maybe that is the key: shaded instead of storebought variegated! Off to look for just the right hand-dyed thread! :)