February 19, 2008

Now to get to TATTING!

Yesterday, I dyed thread. Today, I began to tat!
I have the idea that it would be lovely if I tatted four doilies: one for each of my sisterinlaws, one for my mom, and one for myself.... to put on our kitchen tables... to USE everyday!
Soon, I will be at work outside and with the animals, so the idea of FOUR doilies is probably too big for my actual time, but I am going to choose simpler patterns, that will rinse and reblock easily... and will tat up quickly, I HOPE!
Here are three of the projects, just begun! All are using Hand Dyed Thread.
Top right, using #10 HDT purchased off Ebay.
Bottom, using the blue/yellow #10 thread I did myself.
Top left, using the pink/green #20 thread I 'stained' with the artist's colors/food coloring.

The colors in the scan are very close to the actual colors of the threads, except the pink/green thread is not quite as dark, but close.

7 comments:

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Very pretty threads! You're ambitious... four doilies! Can't wait to see them finished!

Tattycat said...

Diane and I always think the same things! Very pretty, very ambitious! Please keep us updated on your progress!

rainbows and raindrops said...

vey pretty!

might i ask how u stained the thread?

Debbie S. said...

By staining... I meant I used acrylic artist's colors, from the tube and mixed with just a wee bit of water.. There are artist's pigments that stain fingers, clothing, floors, etc... and I figured they would also stain thread! I know they won't wash out. The red food coloring probably won't either, especially since our tatted articles will be gently hand washed, if washed at all. HOWEVER, both the artist's colors and the food coloring/dye may fade if exposed to direct sunlight... some pigments are not lightfast and others are very permanent. Anyway, I love to paint with HOOKER"S GREEN, and it is also fun to TAT with it also! :)
I talked a bit about the 'staining' inthe post: What I did instead of ordering thread.

Sherry aka Celtic Dream Weaver said...

Hi, I was looking on Sharon's Motif Challenge and saw mentioned about about your experiences with dying thread and the fun you are having with it. I really love the thread you dyed that came out that was blue and green. What a calming and cool looking colorway.
Sherry

Unknown said...

Congratulations on dyeing your own thread. It looks like it turned out nice and will be fun to tat with. Now you will see why we are so crazy about hand dyed threads.

Marilee Rockley said...

The colors are very pretty! I am not sure, but the "Dylon" might be a "fiber reactive" dye. It might say on the container or instructions. If it is, then it is a good dye for cotton that won't fade in light or washing. The Procion MX dyes that I use are also "fiber reactive" dyes. These kinds of dyes form a chemical bond with the fiber, not just lay on the surface - that is why they are so colorfast.
So nice that you are having fun with it! Keep on going!