February 12, 2008

Motif TEN of the 25 Motif Challenge

This is another pattern from TATTING PATTERNS AND DESIGNS by Gun Blomqvist and Elwy Persson... an excellent book... I love every pattern! The back cover says '... ideal for testing and developing the skills of both intermediate and advanced tatters...' but my fourth piece of tatting at the very beginning was from this book, and was a success! So I am encouraging everyone to buy this book; it is often found on Ebay, Advanced Book Exchange, Amazon, etc.
This pattern is Olden Times, page 61. I used one of my 'hand-dyed' threads.
As always, this motif tatted up easily and quickly... the patterns are very consistent with number of stitches in both chains and rings, etc.



And, yes, I did it again: I needle-tatted two motifs in a row!

EDITED on 2/18/08:

The 'hand-dyed' thread used for this motif is my hand-dyed thread... and I use the term 'hand-dyed' very loosely! It was made using India Tree's Decorating Color (Yellow) and Nature's Flavors' Food Coloring (Green)... after soaking for several hours, the skein was washed/rinsed in hot water... when the wonderful coppery color change took place. I then washed again with a brand of detergent that is tough enough to get the shop and ranch grim out of hubby's jeans. I expected another color change at this time, but no.

I expected another color change when I pressed with a hot iron after tatting the motif... but nothing. Feeling reckless, and needing to know if this 'food dye' would be stable, I then sprayed the motif with spray starch... it darkened as it dampened slightly, but dried to the same beautiful color.

For thread, I used Coats Big Ball size 20.... simply because I bought 20 balls of this thread off Ebay... for about $1.00 a ball.... lots of thread to experiment with. And it is smoother and stronger than I expected, for a 3 cord crochet thread.

7 comments:

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Your motifs are very pretty! How long have you been tatting? I'm going to have to catch up to you! : )

Gina said...

I love this motif! It looks so much better than the one in the book. I would never have tried it from what I saw there but yours is so lovely I'm giong to have to now!
:-) Gina

Debbie S. said...

The motifs in the photo were joined together, and then stretched as a sort of 'window screen' I think... and YES, this motif didn't look especially pretty, but did look easy to do! :)
If/when you complete this motif, I would love to see it.. so will be continue to check out your blog on a regular basis! :)

Unknown said...

The motif looks very nice and it is good to see you using your hand dyed thread. In future posts do you think you could post the name of the thread and where it came from for us thread addicts that might like to get some. Thank you.

Shay said...

I have the Blomqvist/Persson book and I'm obviously going to have to dig it out and start tatting some motifs from it...love that rich gold color.

Katherine said...

Like Gina, I have the book, but the pattern had never inspired me...indeed I had trouble recognising it! But now I am planning to do it myself, yours is so pretty. I am having a bit of a "thing" at the moment for tatting squares.

Unknown said...

That golden colored motif is just gorgeous. Very striking. I have that same book. I'll have to look for it and tat it.