December 31, 2007

I think I'm caught up!

I decided to finish all the 'past pieces' I had started, before beginning the 25 Motif Challenge... and what better goal than the last day of 2007!
I had begun experimenting and practicing with some of this pattern and some of that pattern... with the idea that I would eventually put several together to make bookmarks.
Well, the pile of little pieces grew and still no bookmarks!
I am excited about the motif challenge and I KNOW that if I begin tatting for that, I won't want to go back to the 'old things'.... so I finished connecting the pieces and blocked and ironed them yesterday!

They look much better in these small photos... but if you want to look closer you will find larger photos and pattern information here.
After several days of experimenting, I did spray them with laundry starch, twice lightly on each side, after blocking and ironing. Without the starch they were limper than a wet noodle and after some 'test-use' as bookmarks, I decided they were actually hard to put in and take out of the book. With the slight amount of starch, they still drape over a finger, but can be lifted out of a book by one end.

4 comments:

Tat-a-Renda said...

Hi Mrs John,
I like the way you mix and match the motif and colours. What an interesting concept. Certainly doesn't look like a beginner's work at all to me.

I have looked at the Grid pattern in the Persson and Glomqvist book but never see it as a bookmark before. I may want to try this out too, borrowing your idea of mixing the colours, if you don't mind.

Debbie S. said...

oooh, that would be neat! I'd love to see what you imagine and create! :)

Tattycat said...

Hi. Like Jon, I have this pattern also. Your color choices are very good and there is no way your work looks like a beginners! Keep up the good work!

Gina said...

Me again...ggg....did you know that top bookmark makes a beautiful spiral design with two colors? I have it written up somewhere if you would like a copy. It was in one of my very first exchanges years ago. You can contact me at ginab6 at yahoo dot com.
:-) Gina